Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a two yr old stud with marked lameness in s right nd…

Customer Question
I have a two yr...
I have a two yr old stud with marked lameness in his right hind upon X-ray he was found to have a very large OCD in his stifle....the prognosis wasn't good but I was offered a choice of stem cell therapy or surgery .....the veterinarian didn't want to give me any odds on success of the treatment or the surgery as it is the largest OCD he's seen ....I am concerned about this horses quality of life wondering if there's any suggestions as to which to try or even whether I should try to have it repaired ...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
2/7/2016
Horse Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian

Hi there. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry you have had to wait so long for a response. I work with a lot of performance animals and so we deal with young horses with ocd quite a bit. I would highly suggest having surgery done by an experienced orthopedic surgeon...this gives you the advantage of getting a direct look into the joint with the scope and then the surgeon can assess how damaged the joint really is. You can always follow up with stem cell therapy or IRAP (another good joint therapy). And of course I would recommend having him castrated at the time of surgery as well since he is not one that you want to be breeding if he has such severe OCD. I have seen young horses make amazing recoveries after appropriate and aggressive treatment of these lesions. Now if the surgeon gets in the joint and says its really in bad bad shape, then at least you got a definitive answer and can make a decision about continuing on with him or not if it seems he is going to certainly be chronically lame. I hope this helps and best of luck. Let me know if you have further questions.