Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

22 year old mare right rear foot does not put it down. When

Customer Question

22 year old mare right rear foot does not put it down. When walks, gingerly steps on it. When it's bearing weight for a second seems to have an extra 'snap' to it (not noise, just looks like it snaps twice). It's been very cold here, wonder if it's just arthritis?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I cleaned the frog yesterday and didn't see anything, however I wasn't looking for an abcess; should I?
JA: What is the horse's name?
Customer: Penny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: She is a Morgan/Quarter cross 1100lbs, frolicked in the pasture a lot on Monday, kicking, rearing etc; seemed happy and spunky
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Dr. Gabby. I need to ask a few additional questions about Penny.

When did the non-weight bearing start?

Do you feel any heat in the hoof or see any swelling in the leg?

Does she have shoes on her rear feet? Was she recently shod?