Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

August 2015. Lower left nd leg injured with a heavy abrasion

Customer Question
August 2015. Lower left...
August 2015. Lower left hind leg injured with a heavy abrasion in to the flesh. Vet dressed the wound and said not to dress the wound again for 7 to 10 days. This cycle was followed with a 14 day supply of uniprim. I left Arkansas and returned to the horse to Maryland. The wound did not heal and the swelling would not go away except for compression.
Sept. New Vet change the treatment to Doxyclene twice a day for 15 days with no result the swelling did not go down. Vet had me finish the remaining 15 days of the antibiotic. Which did not fix the swelling.
Radiograph revealed a swollen bone and surgery was done to grind down the swollen curve in the bone. Another 30 day twice a day doxy applied. Swelling still only responds to compression.
The vet directed me to dress the would every other day which has been followed except when work interferred and the wound has gone as long as 4 days but only twice. l was directed to dress the wound with vetricyn covered with a poltice steril pad then wrapped with steril guaze, cotton padding and vetwrap.
Yestereday I dressed the wound and the entire lower limb is considerbly warmer than the other leg.
I told to address the final alternative of putting the horse down.
Is there other treatment for infection which does not respond.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
1/29/2016
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Greetings, and thanks for the question.

I’m extremely sorry to hear about your horse’s ongoing problem. Frustrating would be an understatement, yes? Anyway, I can relate and sympathize with what you are going through.

I am just heading out for some calls for the afternoon, but saw your post and wanted to ask you a quick question: Has the wound ever been tested for culture and sensitivity? Basically, what that entails is taking a sterile Q-Tip sample of the wound, sending it to the lab, where the bacteria will be identified. Following that, the bacteria is exposed to various types of antibiotics, and based on the response, the most effective antibiotic is selected. If that procedure has not been done, I highly recommend that as your next step. The non-healing of the wound may be the result of antibiotic resistance.

I’ll be away for a few hours, but will check for your reply as soon as I return.

Thanks,

Dan C., DVM

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian