Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

Can I give my horse oral suspension acetaminophen or

Customer Question

Customer: Can I give my horse oral suspension acetaminophen or ibuprofen?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was down yesterday morning and by the time I found him he was shivering badly and not moving very much. He has a history of locking stifles so not sure if he fell or just laid down and couldn't get up on his own. (he is a pasture pet 14 years old) I was about to call the vet to have him put down but decided to try to get him up instead. It took a little bit of doing but we were able to get him up by putting on a lead rope and pulling his head around to his rear. He seemed fine yesterday, eating, drinking, urinating and defecating all fine. Today he's still doing all those things fine but his holding his head down very low. I think he just has a stiff neck and want to try something for pain. If that doesn't work I'll have to call the vet out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Horse Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry your horse is in some discomfort. It is very possible that he got very chilled & it is just taking some time for him to recover.

Instead of the acetaminophen or ibuprofen, I would stick with plain old aspirin. You can purchase large animal boluses at your feed store. or you can try crushing tablets. Aspirin boluses labeled for use in horses usually come in 240 grain strength & you would normally give 2-4 boluses once daily for a 1000 pound animal. If you crush people sized tablets ( 325 mg ) then you would need about 14 tablets once a day for a 1000 pound horse. They also make an apple or molasses flavored aspirin powder for horses, but you will need to check to see if your feed store carries this.

I would not go much beyond giving the aspirin for 3 days for fear of causing stomach irritation.

I hope this makes sense & has give you the information you required. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.