horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

Qaurter horse gelding 10+yrs notice swelling above nose over

Customer Question

qaurter horse gelding 10+yrs notice swelling above nose over last few years , someone said it's called big nose, he's not able trot or canter very long like he used to, so we just walk trail riding. have you heard of this ?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. Before I can answer your question, can you please provide me more detail so I can best assist you? Do you have a picture you can attach, or can you describe the swelling in greater detail? For example, is it one-sided or on both sides, where is it in relation to nostrils and eyes, and is it soft or hard? Does he have any nasal discharge and does he make any noise when he's being worked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both sides even and over the top,no noise, no runny nose or discharge,just does'nt seem to have stamina
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

I see. Thank you for your answer. If he's had the swelling for years and only recently developed a stamina issue, I'm not 100% sure that the 2 are related. One way to tell would be to hold a mirror up separately over each nostril and determine the amount of air flow from each nostril by how much he fogs up the mirror. If one side seems decreased, or both sides seem decreased, the mass may be obstructing air flow. In that case, I would recommend radiographs and endoscopy to determine the extent of obstruction and to diagnose the issue. If there is adequate air flow, I would recommend taking the temperature of your horse daily (should be less than 101.5 degrees F) and making an appointment with your vet to evaluate the possibility of an upper respiratory infection, lower respiratory issues, gastric ulcers, or other reasons for the decreased stamina. Your vet would also perform a full physical exam to evaluate the heart as well as the lungs, and make sure there are no lameness issues that could account for this. Hope this helps, please let me know if you need anything else!

Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check to see if you have any questions? Please click the "accept" button or rate my answer if you found it to be helpful. Even though you placed a deposit, experts do not receive credit for their time until the answer is accepted. Otherwise, I would be happy to continue answering any questions you have!