Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I have a horse who has cellulitis. When he has flare ups we

Customer Question

I have a horse who has cellulitis. When he has flare ups we use bute. However he is on previcox on a normal basis. How long do you have to be off previcox to use bute?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Simon's condition...I know how painful this can be.

According to Veterinary Information Network, there is a 2-3 days wash out period for Previcox before using another NSAID such as Butazolidin. This is very important since tehse cannot be used concurrently due to the extreme problems with the stomach and other organs. Since it is so important to use the Bute when he has flare ups, Simon may be in some pain before you can use the Bute but it appears to be worth it.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****