Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I have a three yr old with a film over half her eye, seems

Customer Question

Hi I have a three yr old with a white film over half her eye, seems to come from a tiny white dot in the eye. no discharge, no swelling seems no discomfort, looks almost like a cataract??
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is possible that this is due to an injury to this eye that you were not aware of and the white you see is corneal swelling in the area of the injury. This is not a cataract since this would be a white area where the pupil is located. Since there is no swelling or discharge, it is also possible, due to Weed's young age, that there is a pigment change occurring that is not harmful in any way to her.

For now, apply a few drops of Artificial tears, available over the counter at the pharmacy, every 4-6 hrs. This will flush out any irritants that may be causing this irritation. Have your vet examine this area closely if there is no improvement in a few days to be sure we have not missed something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks I kinda thought it was a bump of some sort as there is no discharge, doesn't even seem sore

That is a good sign...this may be a bit of scar tissue from a minor injury that has caused some minor edema of the cornea which will resolve on its own. It will really help to apply Artificial tears anyways to be sure.