Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Mixed animal veterinarian for nine years
88281037

I just bought a new bridal pony. I soaked it in oil hours,

Customer Question

hello, I just bought a new bridal for my pony. I soaked it in oil for 24 hours, but he still has about 4 raw rub marks on his forehead where the browband lays. I have been cleaning the wounds with betadine. I there anything else I should do?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Derek replied 1 year ago.

Hello I'm Dr. Caudill and I hope to help you today. Those little rub marks sure can be eye sores. Continue to soak, soften and fit your bridle to Rain's head. Make very certain that all adjustments are properly made and that the bit fits comfortably in his mouth. If he chews excessively at the bit, remember all the parts are connected and this causes unnecessary movement at other points on the bridle. That might help you prevent this from occurring again down the road.

As for the rub marks on his forehead, cleaning with the betadine solution is a good idea. You might consider following up the cleaning with a topical ointment or cream to help with hair growth. Topicals such as Nitrofurazone, or NuStock may be purchased at your local feed store or business such as Tractor Supply. Applying one of these products 1-2 times daily should have your boy healed up and ready to ride really soon.

Please respond with any other questions or concerns and please rate my response if you find it helpful.

Expert:  Dr. Derek replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Derek Caudill
Expert:  Dr. Derek replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see that you have viewed my response. If you have any further questions, I would be happy to assist. Otherwise, I ask that you please rate my response. Thank you.