Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My horse has a cold good eating and drinking Symptoms are a

Customer Question

My horse has a cold good eating and drinking
Symptoms are a snotty nose and a fever of 101.5 thoughts of what to do
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a snotty nose. If it is only one nostril, this could be a sinus or guttural pouch infection. If it is both nostrils, this could be an upper respiratory infection or an allergic reaction. Apache's temperature is normal so this is telling you that the infection is localized some where. The best thing you can do for Apache now is to purchase Penicillin G at the farm supply and give him 1 cc per 100 pounds of his weight every 12 hrs subcutaneously. If you are not comfortable giving injections, ask some one for help.

Certainly, if this does not resolve within a few days, have your vet examine Apache since this may require stronger antibiotics and/or testing.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!! We will monitor and give it s try;)

Good for you! I hope Apache does well. I also have an Arab and love her!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's in both nostrils and just started two days ago

THat is actually a good sign since this could be merely an upper respiratory infection that will resolve with antibiotics. Give it a try...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks my 14 year old daughter has only had her own horse for two months and were kinda new at this so I was just worried
Our barn manager is monitoring g him and we do have a vet to call if needed just wasn't sure at this point we needed to call lol:) we have labs too and I know what to do for dogs more haha thanks for the ideas
Again was just worried

I certainly understand that you are worried....just the fact that Apache is not running a fever and is acting normal and eating well tells you that this is not serious yet. That is so exciting for your daughter. She will learn a lot from Apache. WE all remember our first horse...so exciting!! You are doing great for your daughter and Apache.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This helps thanks at this point he is just pacing in his stall because he can't go to pasture:) thanks again!! My daughter cleaned his grain pan and water buckets good so we will monitor him have a good day thanks

Excellent! You are doing great so far...have a wonderful day!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We ended up calling the vet to come out
Apache still has a bit of a snotty nose but clears up when he goes out if the barn
He has some cough mess he was given as well but no need for antibiotics
Thank for the follow up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol medicine :)

I am relieved that you had Apache checked by your vet...a second opinion is always good. I am sure he will do well.

PS I knew you meant cough meds...LOL!!! I hope he is doing well soon!