Doctor.A
Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.
75359699

My horse has had laminitis we have treated m days with

Customer Question

my horse has had laminitis we have treated him for five days with penicillian but she does not walk. she eats Lucerne and drinks water . is there anything else wrong with her?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 2 years ago.

Hi, i am dr a and would love to help.

penicillian is not an appropriate singular treament for laminitis. You will need to add pentoxifylline, phenylbutazone, potentially acepromazine and change the shoeing or bedding.

Options for bedding include sand or peat moss, bedded to a depth of 6 to 8 inches.

shoeing changes include foam pads, soft ride boots, wedge foam pads or something similar such as redden ultimate shoes.

If none of these options were provided by your vet, you need to find a vet who is well versed in laminitis to help you find the core reason for the laminitis and treat it appropriately. Radiography for determining the degree of damage are highly recommended.
Good luck and let me know what you find!

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 2 years ago.
Hi Carol Pagel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doctor.A