How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask horsemed Your Own Question
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Category: Horse Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 315
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
Type Your Horse Veterinary Question Here...
horsemed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a filly I got from the kill pen a week ago she has a

Customer Question

I have a filly I got from the kill pen a week ago she has a runny nose yelloow discharge I have given her a treatment of genimicine(sp) 6cc for 4 days with no improvement no swelling of the glandes donm't think it is strangles
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. First, if you could answer a couple of questions, I can better assist you. Is the yellow nasal discharge from 1 nostril or both? Does she have a fever and how often have you checked her temperature? Is she eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
low grade fever, yes she is drinking and eating very well both nostrils have discharge I have checked her temp twice a day
Expert:  horsemed replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Since the discharge is bilateral, it is less likely to be Strangles ( although still possible). Most likely, she just has Equine Rhinitis Virus, which is highly contagious, causes profuse bilateral nasal discharge, and generally doesn't cause inappetence. A nasal swab for an equine respiratory panel can confirm the diagnosis. I would recommend keeping her isolated from your other horses and continue to monitor her. If it is a virus, she should be better in a total of 4-7 days. If not or if she worsens, I would recommend calling a veterinarian as pneumonia may be a possibility. Gentamicin is not a broad spectrum antibiotic so they would likely prescribe additional or an alternative antibiotic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should I give her a round of penicillin
Expert:  horsemed replied 2 years ago.
I would give her 4 to 7 days first in case it's a virus and if she's not better, arrange a vet check. They may prescribe penicillin and gentamicin together if they see evidence of a bacterial pneumonia, but giving the antibiotic without good cause may induce side effects such as antibiotic induced diarrhea and injection reactions.
Expert:  horsemed replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?