Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

I had a person give a horse of mine a electrolyte drench as

Customer Question

I had a person give a horse of mine a electrolyte drench as he was dehydrated-while the tube was in he threw his head up pulling the tube out halfway. They stopped immediately but he had laboured breathing for a few hours and didn't eat much that day. Could he get some water on the lungs from that and what can you do?? He eats grass fine and has drunk water.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am dr A. would love to help.Was this person a veterinarian? It sounds like water and electrolytes went down the wrong path. A full exam, including bloodwork should be done, and likely he should start on a course of antibiotics.The biggest complication is pneumonia. This can be a devestating disease