Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

My horse has an abnormal swelling in his neck which is pressing

Customer Question
on his spinal column. He...
My horse has an abnormal swelling in his neck which is pressing on his spinal column. He also has possible nerve damage, giving symptoms similar to wobblers. He also has shivers, making him a poor candidate for surgery. The only thing the vet can suggest is vitamin E to help restore nerve function
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2015
Horse Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Hi there. Thanks for the question. I am so sorry to hear about your horse's trouble. The doctor you requested is not available but let me see if I can help.Do they know what caused the swelling? Is it associated with the vertebra in the neck - like bony tissue injury or is it soft tissue swelling? Here are some of my thoughts in general based on the information you provided:-The Vit E is an excellent idea and will also perhaps help the shivers a bit as well.-Have you tried high dose anti-inflammatories yet? Sometimes a combo of dexamethasone, banamine, and IV DMSO can also help with neurologic signs. YOur vet should have all of these things.- Has the neck been xrayed? I assume so since you mentioned Wobbler's ...usually xrays are used to rule out Wobblers disease. If their are lesions associated with specific vertebral joints in the neck, you can do local injections at the vertebral facets with steroids like Vetalog.- If it more soft tissue associated, I would speak with your vet about trying mesotherapy - local subcutaneous injections of steroid and pain medication or shockwave. These therapies can help with pain and help improve bloodflow to the area for healing.If you have more information about what kind of swelling it is, I can provide some more specific recommendations potentially. In the meantime, keep the horse and yourself safe. Neurologic horses are dangerous when they cant keep their balance. Best wishes. I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian