Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

My horse has eaten something? that has made his cheek swell

Customer Question
iup . I'm going to...
My horse has eaten something? that has made his cheek swell iup . I'm going to give him antihistamine and can I give him aspirin
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/9/2015
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Greetings, and thanks for the question. My apologies for the delay, I just got online.

Sorry to hear about Man ok's condition. I have a few questions to ask you so that I may give you a more thorough answer.

1): How long ago did you notice this?

2): Was it a rather sudden appearance?

3): As far as the swelling, is it his entire cheek? Both sides? Any of the muzzle involved?

4): Is he breathing normally? Can he eat?

5): If you press on the swelling, does your finger leave a noticeable dent in the tissue?

6): What is his environment like (stall, pasture, paddock, etc.)?

7): Has the antihistamine helped?

Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C.

Need to let you know that I'll be offlne for a few hours. I'll check for your response as soon as I return.

Thanks!
One side of the face mostly and instead cheek only . I noticed this today when he lost a rider and was bit sensitive . Left cheek inside was red raw . He is eating but drinking tons . Breathing is ok, no extra sweating . Buttercups in his field and grabbed mouthful if grass on a hack out so not sure if that had something in it?
I've given him Piriton now and a couple if aspirin . Not sure how many he can have . I read a vet said 20 but that seems a lot so I have him two :-/

Hi Ruth, and thanks for your reply.

I was initially thinking this may be some type of allergic reaction, but based on your further description, this sounds as if we're dealing with an isolated area of possible infection, caused by perhaps a small interior laceration to the cheek from some stemmy hay, etc., or also from a sharp tooth. Has Man ok had his teeth floated recently?

Buttercups are more toxic in nature, and tend to affect heart function, etc., ending up with an extremely sick or even a dead horse. It also must be eaten in large quantities, and there are various species, some worse than others. But based on the action of Buttercup, I do not believe that it has contributed to the condition.

There is also a possibility that an abscess is forming within the cheek region, secondary to a small scratch internally or externally, causing bacteria to multiply underneath the now healed skin.

My recommendation to you is to have your Vet check Man ok's mouth and the suspect lump for a proper identification that only a hands-on exam can give. It can sometimes involve placing a small needle into the area to see the type of fluid present (if there is fluid...). Be sure to double check his teeth for sharp points, and of so, schedule a float!

So I trust I've been of some help, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many thanks, ***** ***** of luck to you and Man ok.

-Dan C.

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian