In France we are not allowed to get Trihist. is it possible to give Cetirizine or loratadine tablets instead? and how

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hello, in France we are not allowed to get Trihist. is it possible to give Cetirizine or loratadine tablets instead? and how many? my horse weight around 450kg. thanks for your help
Answered by Keith Taraba, DVM in 27 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** would be happy to help you with this.
Several different medications can be used when treating respiratory allergies in horses. Diphenhydramine can be used in some cases with good results. I generally prescribe 15 to 20 of the over the counter Benadryl (or generic) twice daily.
Fexofenadine (Allegra) may also be used at a dosage of 5 to 8 of the over the counter pill once daily.
My main go to for respiratory allergies in horses is Ventipulmin (clenbuterol) oral syrup. Generally, I will start with 3ml twice daily. The safe dosage for a 450kg horse is up to 5cc twice daily long term, or up to 8cc twice daily for short term treatment.
Platinum Performance makes a skin and allergy supplement that some of my clients have had luck with, also.
Customer
thanks for those informations. i will try those medicine, if I can found them in France, for respiratory allergy but could you help me also with eye allergy? it occurs when there is pollen, or in winter when it is windy or cold. it itches and my horse can scratch himself very strongly and hurt himself up to bleeding.
The Diphenhydramine or Fexofenadine should help with allergic reactions involving the eye as well. Loratidine may be of some use at about 6 to 8 over the counter tabs daily.
Also, check into the Platinum Skin and Allergy at the following link:
http://www.platinumperformance.com/Platinum-Skin-Allergy/productinfo/ESKIP1/?LID&gclid=CjwKEAiAy8ujBRCY6c-hveijhFASJAAcyGickfscZKQxuW2wsvAN7_Ow71vHy1RBSAI_l-Dj8acMTxoCPjvw_wcB
Hi Sophie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Loony. How is everything going?
Keith Taraba, DVM
Customer
hello Keith,i have found fexofenadine and Loratine on french website, i'm going to order them. I suppose that I should not mix them and try one treatment after each other to see what works best. Ventipulmin is no more available without prescription (some teenagers used it to loose weight! ) and I didn't check yet for platinum supplement. since a couple of days Loony doesn't breath well again and his eyes are red and swollen.... the weather is too mild and humid and windy.... but he is in much better shape than 2 years ago, perhaps it is because I give him regularly nettle powder. greetings and have a nice day!
Sounds like you have a plan.
If any respiratory symptoms show up or persist in the face of the other treatments, I would recommend that you get some Ventipulmin from your vet.
Other than that, you should be in good shape.
Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Keith Taraba, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.