I have a horse with a lump on the inside of the right rear fetlock joint. It is an old injury and normally sound on it

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a horse with a lump on the inside of the right rear fetlock joint. It is an old injury and normally sound on it but when he is tired he becomes short on it. Is there any advantage to stretching it out before we work?
Answered by Keith Taraba, DVM in 1 hour 8 years ago
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Hello, I would love to help you with this

Keith Taraba, DVM :

What type of injury caused the lump?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Is the lump hard like bone, or more like scar tissue?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Have you had it xrayed or ultrasounded?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

not to sure how it was caused happen when he was about 2 years

has been xrayed, it is all soft tissue

they told me that it was all soft tissue but it feel quite hard

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Is the lump on the front, back or side?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Sorry for the lapse, I was driving back from a farm call. I will have to break for an hour as I have a couple of appointments yet today. I promise to get back to you asap.

The lump is toward. The front on the outside

Have you left

Keith Taraba, DVM :

I am back

Keith Taraba, DVM :

So on the front outside?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

If the very front is 12 o'clock and the sides are 3 and 9 o'clock, where is the lump? Maybe 2 or 10?

8 or 9

Keith Taraba, DVM :

It may be worth getting an ultrasound done, as well as a thorough lameness work up. Just to make sure that there is no significant damage to the tendons or ligaments before doing any more riding.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

It is impossible for me to diagnose this from here. I think it would be worth having a sportsmedicine vet thoroughly examine your horse.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

I am happy to expand on anything if you need.

Hi Barb, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Keith Taraba, DVM
Customer

I am continuing as previously described.

You provided me with no new insights.

Barb

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Keith Taraba, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.