My barrel horse is very lazy she is fit but has always been lazy. She wakes up in her run but I would like to know what

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My barrel horse is very lazy she is fit but has always been lazy. She wakes up in her run but I would like to know what I can do feed wise or supplements that will give her more energy. She gets a very good quality feed made for performance horses but still lacking fire. She does love her job but want to know something that might give her a boost
Answered by Keith Taraba, DVM in 38 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Hello, my name is***** and I would love to help you. What are you currently feeding?Also, what is your horse's body condition (where 1 is extremely emaciated and 9 is very obese)?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

In general, I lean away from too much grain, epecially corn which can greatly increase your incidence of colic.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Also, how long have you owned her?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Many barrel horses that I work with get a grass and alfalfa mix free choice as well as a small amount of a pelleted feed such as Strategy or, even better, one of Blue Bonnet's low carb feeds. I also recommend feeding 1-2 scoops of Platinum Performance Wellness or CJ daily.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Most horses will have plenty of energy with this feeding program.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

If your horse is still "lazy" while on this type of program, you may want to have an exam done by a good sports medicine vet near you. Blood work can let you know if there are anymajor underlying diseases, and a thorough lameness exam can rule out minor aches and pains that can contribute to a horse not wanting to perform

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer: I am feeding a pelleted feed by ADM called PowerGlo is crude protein 13 % formulated for barrel horses and race performance horses. She is not overweight she is in good condition. I ride her 4-5 days a week and compete on weekends we long trot and lope some of it for at least 2 1/2 miles a ride. I feed Timothy and alfalfa hay
Keith Taraba, DVM :

Once in a while, a "lazy" horse actually has a soreness issue that, if addressed will increase performance.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

As far as pure feed recommendations, I would add Platinum Performance to the diet and see if that adds any pep. If not, investigate non-feed related issues.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

How is the mare when you saddle her? Does she get agitated when the cinch is tightened? Does she sidestep when you get on?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

How does she eat? Does she bury her nose in the feed bucket until all is gone, or does she take a few bites, look around, have a couple more bites, get some water, etc?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

If you have any more specific questions, or more info, feel free to contact me.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
You can still reply with more info or questions. I am still here.
Customer
She eats good but is cinchy when first tightened but after done once she is fine why do you ask?? What are you thinking? Ulcers???
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Ulcers are definitely a consideration.
Back pain is also a possibility that I would rule out.
If I have adequately answered your question, please hit the "Accept" button.
If I have not, please let me know how I can help you.
Hi Cindy, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Keith Taraba, DVM
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Keith Taraba, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.