I have a male horse that got through the electric fence and into the corn field. i have no idea how he was out. should i

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: i have a male horse that got through the electric fence and into the corn field. i have no idea how long he was out. should i be concerned if he ate to much corn?
Answered by Keith Taraba, DVM in 26 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Hello, I'mCustomer Sorry to hear about your fence. There are a couple of things that you should be on the lookout for. One is any sign of abdominal pain or discomfort as eating a large amount of corn has been known to cause colic. Signs include laying down to roll, increased heart rate (higher than 40 beats per minute), pawing at the ground, looking at the abdomen, and sweating.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Also, signs of hoof discomfort or heat in the hooves should also be watched for as too much corn can cause laminitis, or founder.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

If you notice any signs of hoof discomfort or colic over the next 48 hours, get a vet out immediately.

thumpy1163 :

is there enough carbohydrates in raw feild corn to really cause founder?

Keith Taraba, DVM :

There definitely is. The only question is how much did he eat and what is his personal tolerance for corn.

thumpy1163 :

no idea what his tolerance is. but if i had to guess from looking at the corn stalks. he may have eaten as many as 10 ears?

thumpy1163 :

i lost a horse last year to laminitis. i can go thru that again

Keith Taraba, DVM :

I would say to bring him up and watch him closely for the next 48 hours. If he shows any sign of colic or foot pain, have him seen immediately.

thumpy1163 :

will do. thanx a bunch doc.

Keith Taraba, DVM :

Glad to help. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Keith Taraba, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.