My morarab isn't walking she seems very stiff I thought it might be founder but I don't know what would have caused it.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my morarab isn't walking she seems very stiff I thought it might be founder but I don't know what would have caused it. She was laying down this morning and didn't want to get up she finally got up and walks very gingerly she eats but I'm wondering if she has collic
Answered by Dr. Mike in 27 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Mike
25+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr. Mike :

When were her feet trimmed last?

Dr. Mike :

Is she an "easy keeper" typically?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

her feet were trimmed about 3 months ago I also have 2 other horses that were trimmed at the same time and there feet don't look as bad as hers ,they seem to be extremely long and thick she is an easy keeper and is not skinny at this time

I gave you the wrong e-mail address it [email protected]

Dr. Mike :

The breed and age were enough to make me suspicious of laminitis, but being an easy keeper and your description of her feet make me pretty sure that's it.

Dr. Mike :

How long has she been walking gingerly?

what is lamintis ? she has been walking this way for about a week but at 1st thought she was having problems with snow built up in her hoofs but the last 2 days she only moves when she has to

Dr. Mike :

Laminitis is an inflammation of the lamina in the hoof, also known as founder. Snow packing in the soles can certainly exacerbate it. It has many causes, but in horses like Beauty, it's caused by inappropriate levels of insulin.

Dr. Mike :

I need to run out on an emergency now, but I'll finish when I return

what can be done to treat this please help I don't want to put her down if can be helped

Dr. Mike :

The first step is to confirm my suspicion. Your equine veterinarian will watch Beauty move, and carefully examine her feet with hoof testers (large pincer-like device that applies the desired amount of pressure to a very small portion of the hoof).

Dr. Mike :

From there, various treatment avenues can be pursued, but if it's been a week, he/she will probably recommend x-rays of her feet to establish the precise location of the coffin bone within the hoof capsule. The results of the x-rays help to determine what treatment modalities to use.

Dr. Mike :

Until I get a chance to evaluate cases like this, I often have clients have the horse step onto a chunk of 2" closed-cell building insulation. They can then cut out the outline of the foot and use duct-tape to apply the "pad" to the bottom of each foot. This then crushes down and conforms perfectly to the sole and frog.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I noticed you were off-line, so I changed from chat to the standard mode.

I almost always start these horses on anti-inflammatories at a minimum, and depending on the physical examination (+/- x-rays), may add things to modulate insulin levels, attempt to alter blood flow, etc.

Dietary changes are also usually a good idea, minimizing carbohydrates being the most important.

Once you log back in, let me know if have further questions.

DrMike
Customer

I'm not sure if my last message made it to you I got kicked off the internet when I submitted my reply, thanks for your help just one thing is it a good ideal to give her anything for pain?

I didn't see your reply.

Yes, the anti-inflammatories (like bute, for example) help ease the pain. They don't ease pain directly, but in the process of reducing the inflammation (the real problem) the pain subsides as the inflammation does.

Best of luck with Beauty, let me know if you have any other questions.

DrMike
Hi Tammy, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Dr. Mike
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Mike
logo
logo
logo
25+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Mike
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.