Our foal is two weeks old. Last few days has become very lethargic, hasn't gained weight and has difficulty getting to

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our foal is two weeks old. Last few days has become very lethargic, hasn't gained weight and has difficulty getting to his feet. Has had diarrhea and the weather has been very warm. The mare is a first time mum and has milk contantly streaming out of her.
Answered by Dr. Mike in 2 hours 9 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Mike
25+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Sonny's history has me concerned. Mom's streaming milk tells me Sonny's not been nursing adequately. Diarrhea at 2 weeks of age is not an issue as long as they're nursing aggressively to make up fluid loss.

What was the result of Sonny's IgG test? (lets us know how much and of what quality the mare's colostrum was).

At the least, your vet may want to consider checking blood glucose level (I use a human diabetic reader so I know NOW what the little buggar's blood sugar levels are), and another IgG level.

Core body temp, gut motility, etc may dictate antibiotic use.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that at this age and with Sonny's history, I'd keep calling the clinic number. I'm concerned that he's dehydrated again and/or septic (bacteria in his blood stream).

DrMike
Customer
It was both, dehydrated and septic. Started to convulse. Vet tried everything. Lungs gave out and unfortunately he did not make it. Thanks fort he feedback.
Sorry to hear how Sonny's case turned out. These can be frustrating cases for all involved.

DrMike
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Mike
logo
logo
logo
25+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Mike
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.