A 15 y o lesson pony at a boarding facility was "put down" this past week due to front leg issues. Several boarders

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: A 15 y o lesson pony at a boarding facility was "put down" this past week due to front leg
issues. Several boarders offered to pay for the vet bill, but all were refused. The pony was
shot in the head. The owner knows a Policeman so he did it.
All boarders are very upset. Is it true that the pony was treated in a cruel way? Did he suffer more, or longer this way? I was told he died the instant he was shot.
Why is this considered inhumane, as compared to how the vet does it, and I was with my gelding when the vet put him down.
Answered by Dr. Mike in 34 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Mike
25+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr. Mike :

A well placed bullet is just as humane as chemical euthanasia, if not more so, as with barbiturate overdose, they still feel the needle. Death is instantaneous via gunshot, but may not be "suitable for some viewers". Those speaking against this method are putting their own beliefs/feelings above the welfare of the horse.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Mike
logo
logo
logo
25+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Mike
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.