Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of experience in private practice, including equine medicine and surgery
31531426

my horse has red and swollen eyelids on one - other eye completely

my horse has red and swollen eyelids on one - other eye completely normal , I have treated with three tubes of prescription eye ointment, there was an abrasion at first but that is smaller, the lids seem to be the problem, very red,
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Steve :

Hi, I

Dr. Steve :

I'm Dr Steve

Dr. Steve :

Do you know what the eye ointment was?

Customer:

i will tell you in just a sec

Dr. Steve :

Thanks

Customer:

neomycin polymyxin bacitracin

Dr. Steve :

Ok, This medicine is an antibiotic and in most eye injuries or infections, the basic treatment is to use an antibiotic and keep the infection under control so the eye can heal itself. In some more serious cases , I have used a product called Vetericyn Pinkeye Spray. It is for horses and helps promote healing as well as controlling infection.

Dr. Steve :

I have had some very good results with this spray and it may be the extra "boost" your filly needs to help heal the eye more completely. This is availabel at most vets and pet/farm stores.

Customer:

is that a prescription

Dr. Steve :

There is a vetericyn wound spray, but the one that is specially formulated for use in eye is the pinkeye spray.

Dr. Steve :

No it is available over the counter.

Dr. Steve :

I hav clients use it twice a day if possible and it may take 2-3 weeks to get complete healing since it sounds like it has been going on for some time.

Dr. Steve :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the accept button so i may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. If you have more questions, please continue

Customer:

do you think it is only conjunctivitis then? I get so worried about an eye infection, the eye itself does seem ok, it is just when I open the eyelid to administer the ointment that I can see how red and swollen the inside of the lids is it does seem to improve some, it has never totally resolved and then it gets worse again

Dr. Steve :

If the eye is okay now, it is likely a conjunctivitis and the pinkeye spray should help with that as well.

Customer:

is there anything else i should do until i get the prescription

Dr. Steve :

Another option would be to use another antibiotic drop for the eye like chloramphenicol , gentocin, or ciprofloxacin, but these don't promote healing either. It is also morelikely to need a prescription

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Steve :

you are welcome. Thanks for the accept. unfortunately the question is stuck in the accepting mode and if you could click the accept button again it may help it finish the accept , Thank you very much.