I have a paso fino mare with chronic hind tendon injuries. Currently she is not being ridden; I'm allowing a full year

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a paso fino mare with chronic hind tendon injuries. Currently she is not being ridden; I'm allowing a full year for recovery from a stretched deep flexor and I wrap if she shows any indication of fluid. She's on full turnout on pasture, but at night the area is restricted to a small paddock. (This prevents morning exhuberance). She is currently sound and has been sound for several months, but I don't want to begin work with her too soon. I believe that is how her injuries became chronic. She has had three separate tendon injuries in three years. She currently receives the maximum amount of cosequin supplement, her body mass is a 6/10 going into winter but generally is a 5/10 and is very healthy in every other way.
Answered by horsevet1976 in 19 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
horsevet1976
6+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, I am Dr. Crow and I have some suggestions for you. The confirmation of Paso Finos make them prone to suspensory desmitis of the hindlimbs. It sounds like your mare has chronic suspensory desmitis. This can be frustrating and can lead to a very unsound horse.
A couple of things to try are MSM supplementation and hind extensor shoes. The MSM is OTC and is a natural ant-inflammatory that can be beneficial to chronic damage to the suspensory ligaments. Hind shoes that have an extensor or trailer at the back of the shoe can help support the fetlock and suspensory ligaments so they don't stretch as much.
You don't want to work her too hard with this condition. Polo wraps behind or the Professional Choice Sports Medicine boots that wrap around the fetlock can help provide support when turned out or ridden.
Hope this helps...Reply if you need more info or Accept if I have answered your question.
Customer
She is currently taking the maximum daily dose of cosequin supplement (this contains ASU and MSM) and had been on it for six months at the time of her most recent injury. I'll ask my farrier about shoes that extend further off the back, although her current shoes do overrun the length of her hoof in the back somewhat. Could you elaborate on the sports medicine boots? There are a great many products -- varieties for dressage, reining, and jumping, and I would want to purchase something that would provide the maximum support. (Would you recommend that I purchase them for the forelegs as well?) Only one injury was sustained when I was riding her, the other times were pasture injuries. Does she need to wear them daily even when not being ridden? Should I purchase them ASAP?
So she is on a good supplement. Here is a link to the boots that would be good: http://www.amazon.com/Professionals-Choice-Equine-Neoprene-Medicine/dp/B003LVVZJK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1323378511&sr=8-6

I would use them for turnout and riding only. You can use standing wraps with quilts for in the stall if needed. I don't think you need them for the front unless she has an issue in front as well. I would get them ASAP if you are planning to turn her out or ride her.

Your farrier should understand what a shoe with a trailer is, it sticks out about an inch or so behind the heel.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
horsevet1976
logo
logo
logo
6+ years of experience
imglogo
horsevet1976
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.