My horse has soft lumps on her feet. They don't smell and don't seem to bother her. What is this and how is it treated?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My horse has soft white lumps on her feet. They don't smell and don't seem to bother her. What is this and how is it treated?
Answered by Keith Taraba, DVM in 25 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Are the bumps on the hoof or on the skin? Are they on the front, side or back?
Customer
They are mostly in the V in the centre of the frog. They seem to be spreading back on the skin behind the hoof. By the way, they only appeared in the snow and cold weather of the past few weeks.
Do they peel away if you pick at them with your hoof pick? How big are the bumps?
Customer
They longer ones can be cut off. The largest ones, in the V of the frog, are about 3/4 inch long and 1/2 inch in diameter. The others, on the back of her foot, are wider and shallower.
I would have your farrier out to pare the lumps off and clean up the frog. Follow this with topical treatment using strong iodine daily while keeping the hooves clean and dry.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Keith Taraba, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.