I have a four year old quarter horse mare that was started back in September 2010 after 30 days she came up lame in her

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a four year old quarter horse mare that was started back in September 2010 after 30 days she came up lame in her left front. Vet diagnosed stone bruise. Vet also said she had been sick and the virus was now in the hoof after being burised was the problem. She was was not severly lame. Next I had him xray the hoof and we saw infection in and around some of the bone (not sure on the exact area) put her on Doxicycline for four weeks she came sound back to riding no problems. Now she is lame in the front right same symptoms as in the left. Trainer decided to put pads on and start another round of Doxicycline. Is it possible for a virus to lay dormant in the leg/hoof and bruising or trama to the hoof can cause this lameness problem? Thanks for any feedback you are willing to share
Answered by Keith Taraba, DVM in 2 hours 11 years ago
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

The problem must have been bacterial or else doxicycline wouldn't have helped. I would guess that you probably had another bruise that may have gotten infected, resulting in a solar abscess. The treatment for this usually involves soaking the foot in epsom salt and water, then having the farrier try to find the infection.
If this answers your question, please click accept.
Again, please click accept if your question has been answered.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Keith Taraba, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Keith Taraba, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.