Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Hi I live in the FT Worth Texas area and own a 10yr old paint…

Customer Question
Hi I live in the...
Hi I live in the FT Worth Texas area and own a 10yr old paint gelding that has come up with some mystery swelling. The first signs showed up about a week ago. He came in with a swollen lump between his front legs, it was about a handful in size. Not thinking it was anything too serious we just kept an eye on it. After a day or two it started to go down, but a few days later swelled back up again. He broke out in hives all over too.
The small swelling then started increasing, Thursday it was completely swelled up all over the front of his chest. Friday i brought him in to haul him to the vet and the swelling had travelled all the way up his neck and into his head. His whole head, face and mouth where completely swollen.
When we got to the vets they looked in his mouth but just said it was extremely swollen. they did a cbc bloodwork which came back normal. He was given LX total prot eq avc and banamine. Dr said he really wasn't sure what was causing it and decided to treat what we could see.
He was sent home with uniprim pwd 37.5 gm and tri-hist granules.
Sat and Sun he has taken meds but there has been no signs of improvement. He has actually gotten worse. More swelling in chest up neck and now developing on underside. His breathing is becoming labored due to the pressure of the swelling i think.
I plan to haul him back to the vet but would love some more opinions on something else to try, the poor guy is just miserable. I am also waiting for a call back from texas A&M for any suggestions.
Please Help! thanks Heidi
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. M.
Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon
Did they ultrasound the swelling?
Do you have a picture of it for me?

Hi, no they did not ultrasound. I did take some pics yesterday i will need to upload and will add asap.

Also no snotty nose or discharge and also doesnt look like pigeon fever we are not really in that area either i don't think

graphicgraphic
Will wait for your pics
graphici cant seem to att pics through this site, do u have another email i can send to
send it [email protected] with URGENT on it..