Dr. M.
Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon
Experience:  Board certified surgeon, lameness and advanced imaging expert. 9 years experience.
27425863

MARE: 14 YEAR OLD..CAME UP LAME..SWELLING..OH I ALSO RUB HER LEG WITH

Customer Question

I HAVE A 14 YEAR OLD CUTTING MARE TAHT I USE FOR TEAM PENNING SHE IS #6 IN THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI AT THIS TIME BUT SHE HAS CAME UP LAME FOR SOME REASON HER BACK RIGHT ANKLE KEEPS SWELLING THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A BOUT 6 WEEKS THE FIRST TIME I THOUGHT THAT I HAD WORKED HER TO HARD IN SOME DEEP GROUND I GAVE HER DEXAMETHOSONE AND BUTE AND IT WENT DOWN IT WILL SWELL AGAIN BUT GO RIGHT BACK DOWN I HAVE NOT RIDDEN OR COMPETED ON THIS MARE IN THE LAST TWO WEEKS TODAY HER ANKLE IS HUGE AND SHE CAN HARDLY WALK ON IT AGAIN I GAVE DEX AND BUTE ANY IDEAS OF WHAT IS GOING ON OH I ALSO RUB HER LEG WITH DMSO
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. M. replied 8 years ago.
I am afraid she might have hurt the collateral ligaments of hr fetlock, especially if this work was on deep ground. But realistically, you should have your vet come to take some Xrays of the fetlock and ultrasound it (including the tendons at its back and the annular ligament).
This way you will have a definitive diagnosis and be able to treat/manage your mare to the best.
Let me know if you have any further questions