Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

mare: rescued..no pigment..tears have eaten away her lower eyelid…

Customer Question
I recently rescued an appy...
I recently rescued an appy mare, and her tears are constantly running, so much so that she has no pigment in her skin all the way down her face where the tears run, it even appears that the tears have eaten away her lower eyelid. There seems to be no infection, and the tears stop with a fly mask on, she seems to be able to see well, what do you think?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/27/2010
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Will, Horse Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Will
Dr. Will, Horse Veterinarian

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer!

As you probably know, Appaloosa's tend to tear more than other breeds -- I think due to light pigmentation around the eyes or perhaps a breed sensitivity to UV radiation. I have seen this so often as a vet I can see your mare in mind's eye.

Here is what I would recommend:

1) Have your vet check her for blocked tear ducts and back flush her nasolacrimal system to be sure nothing is plugged. If it is plugged, the flushing will open it up for better drainage. Also, your vet can give you something like Neo Poly Dex (if indicated) to help with infection/swelling. Be sure not to use any ointment in the eye that has dex in it if she is painful or squinting.

2) Have your vet at the same visit look carefully for any signs of growths, tumors, uveitis, habranemiasis, etc etc.

3) Use a UV rated fly mask and she should wear it during daylight hours. In fact, with most Appy's that have this issue, they stay up in the barn during the day and out at night. Try leaving the mask off at night if she is turned out for vision safety.

The skin should heal and return to normal if you can keep the tears off.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Will

(If I have helped and answered your question please press the ACCEPT button first. Then, if you have further questions,, or if I need to clarify anything, please ask. . -- Thanks!)