Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

equine: rescued..tail..salt, minerals, grass and hay, small amounts…

Customer Question
i have rescued some horses...
i have rescued some horses from going to slaughter, there are thin on the backs, thin on the tail bone areas, I'm not a tree hugger but am one of the largest equine rescues in the country and this has me puzzled, plenty of salt, minerals, grass and hay, small amounts of beetpulp to help but what is the made nutrition i need to get this to start getting weight in the heat on these areas? Ray
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/26/2010
Horse Veterinarian: Keith Taraba, DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Keith Taraba, DVM
Keith Taraba, DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: Twelve years practicing sports medicine and surgery at major thoroughbred and quarter horse racetracks. In addition, I have clients in multiple Western and English disciplines.
I would feed free choice grass/alfalfa mix hay and treat for gastric ulceration with either ranitidine at 4.5g twice daily or Ulcer Guard at one tube (4 times labeled dose) daily for 21 days. These horses very likely have gastric ulcers and there are no negative side effects to treatment. Also, I would recommend worming with a Panacur Powerpak and having their teeth checked out. If these things are done, they should put on significant weight within a month or so.
teeth are okay, gastro guard was done, ifvermec wormer was done twice, no parasite load, they have unlimited-free choice free grazing for hay and grass, good clean coastal bermuda grass, is there anything else i might be missing?
The only thing I would add is a Powerpak if you haven't done a fecal exam to check for parasite eggs. Also, maybe have a lameness exam done as any kind of pain can cause wastage.
what are you calling a powerpak? fecal was done no parasites, i have a equine chiropractor on staff and we're looking to see if there is a fat mix ratio defeciency, feed is 18%, hay is 14 - 19% highly fertilized, coastal bermuda grass is rich and hardy, is there a natural fat feed supplement to free choice for these? sorry but I did try most things.
still waiting on reply
Unless they are high level athletes, horses generally don't need any more supplementation than free choice grass or grass hay to gain and maintain weight. How long, what dosage, and how often was the Gastrogard given?
5 days and i have to go out to the barn to get the tube to see what ingrements, the dosage was for 1,000 horse, and also an antibiotic was given in case of unknown bug in the immune system as a precaution, I wasn't happy about that but orders are orders. the tail bone and back bones are sticking out which usually are harder to cover from recovery of lack of feed but a feed supplement can usually handle this but again, to many makers and not ewnough honest answers. i give these a rating of 3.5 out of 5 on the henneke scale. 1-2=1 3-4-=2, 5-6=3. 7-8=4 9=5, not one is golf ball rolling off the center of the back fat. I call this arrowhead, pointed. I appreciate your time on this but performance horses usually use a higher volume of grain and higher fat content for protien and standard feeds aren't working. these are NOT performance horse, yard arnaments at best. is there a mineral tub you recommend for free choice,
A standard course of treatment for healing gastric ulcers in a 1,000 lb horse is 1 tube of Gastrogard daily for 21 days followed by 1/4-1/2 tube daily as maintenance. In order to see improvement in appetite, 4-7 days of treatment are usually needed. Also, compounded omeprazole pastes are generally not very effective.
actually it was one tube for 5 days because it was not for ulcers then the antibiotics folow up and I had to grind the pills into the food so that it was easier to get into the horses along with maple syrup mixed in. Yes the paste didn't work is why the tube was recommended. so i guess we're down to what, i have them on 10 acres off of the 4,500 acres so I can keep a close eye on them, I guess this is one of those stump the doctors questions. salt, feed, hay and grass unlimited, minerals and vitamix in the water per 300 gallons per package. so no fat tub supplement you know of? any fat supplement , wesson oil, corn oil, anything?
You could try rice bran and Platinum Performance Wellness supplement. I still would say that treating for gastric ulcers is key.
Ulcers are out, i had 2 vets confirm not ulcers during physical checkup, but neither could recommend any know fat supplement feed. Platinum Performance is that a west coast feed name and brand? what does this feed have for primary nutrition in it that would work, I can look up feeds here in Texas for the product ingredient.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
this vet could not answer my question, i want my refund but I will recommend your site to othes and ask them to make sure they specify the vet speciality they need to ask the question.