Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Hi There,Wondering if my 15 yr TB Gelding may have a high…

Customer Question
Hi There, Wondering if my 15...
Hi There,
Wondering if my 15 yr TB Gelding may have a high or other suspensory lig. injury right front leg.
Syptoms or lack thereof I've not run into with him previously...no heat, no swelling, not lame all the time. Only takes lame steps every so often, never at the walk and hardly ever at the canter. Experience lame steps sometimes at casual trot, not at first and not at the working trot.
Could it be ligament or stiffness elsewhere...experience shoulder stiffness/soreness a few weeks ago.
Does not seem in distress, still full of energy and willing to work.
Thanks in advance for input!
Theresa & Loco
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/23/2010
Horse Veterinarian: brookevet, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
brookevet
brookevet, Veterinarian
Hi there
Welcome to justanswer.
How much time has passed since Loco is showing this type of lameness?
What is the degree of lameness during lame steps?
any treatment already given please?

About 2 weeks with varied lameness, last weekend almost no lameness at all. Monday a little more lameness but not consistent. Appeared mostly in corners with more of a short step ... I could not get his should up for anything so I wrote it off as soreness from a lesson. His shoulder got better, still sometimes has short steps if I take him deep into the corners...okay on a circle. Monday started on a straight way while in a warm up trot to the right - head bob. Did not happen to the left and seemed to go away when I asked for more of a trot.

I may have mentioned it was his right front however it is his LEFT.

Treatment: Bute the first few days and a few days of rest. There is no heat or swelling.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for the information.
First of all, I would like to tell you that horse means a horse having four limbs in working position without any lameness. It means any one of the four limbs if lame, has the potential to cause the horse permanently lame. Therefore I would strongly suggest you to let the loco be checked by the vet physically in order to identify the exact site of sore. Usually with nerve block is sufficient but in more complicated cases like when there is no swelling, no heat, no pain on palpation, Ultrasonography and MRI helps to confirm the injured ligament.
If it's so then rest for few months may be upto six months will be required alongwith NSAIDs (e.g. the one you are already using like Bute). Beware continuous use of NSAIDs(e.g. phenylbutazone) has a potential to cause gastric ulcers.