Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

horse: no movement..vet and had his teeth done couple..mouth..tilted…

Customer Question
I have a horse that...
I have a horse that has no movement in his jaw sideways. he has already been to the vet and had his teeth done couple of weeks ago. he has always with or without bit in his mouth stretched his neck out and tilted his head sideways and tries to move his jaw around. its almost as if it is annoying him. he is a lovely supply and collected and very soft horse, however recently I have noticed he wont bend his nose out to the right. he has been collecting and moving his head to the right side, but wont actually stretch his neck out and follow his nose.

I also run him on saturday night barrel racing him and noticed he had a nose bleed from both nostrils. I then rested him and worked him bout an hour later steady and the blood started again. it certainly wasnt gushin out, but was more then a human would. I have been having probs with his coat and health in the last 12 months and have been treating him for stomach ulcers the past 2 weeks and he is improving? could all this tied intogether?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/21/2010
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. M.
Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon
What do you use him for?
Barrel racing
Well,
the coat issue can go with the gastric ulcers, but I cannot associate it to the jaw or the neck bending issue or the nose bleed.

There is a structure called the temporihyoid joint that is located in the guttural pouches (in the horse's pharynx) that can be affected (temporohyoid osteoarthropathy) and could explain the issue with jaw motion, the neck bending and also possibly the nose bleed.
I would have your vet Xray it and possibly scope the guttural pouches.

If this does not pan out, Xraying the temporomandibular joint and cervical vertebra would have to be done next.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions