Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 11 year old gelding fell through the floor of the trailer…

Customer Question
My 11 year old gelding...
My 11 year old gelding fell through the floor of the trailer and dragged his hind legs. His left leg was a surface wound which was treated and daily he receives cold packs then later polo wrap. His other fetlock was torn away to expose the joint. I've been applying 20 min daily water therapy, betadine scrub, and wet to dry bandages and animax in the morning then rescrubbing and applying in afternoon. It's been three weeks and not completely closed yet, so farrier applied built up shoe with splint to immobilize leg in a raised 3/4" (toedown) position to facilitate the healing. Can he live pain free?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/16/2010
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. M.
Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon
Was his joint open?
How lame is he now?
Do you you have a picture/video available you could post?
Yes joint was open. It clicks when he sets back on his heel which he does not like to do. Very willing to walk around only on toe. I only have pics on my cel phone. The coveringto the cannon bone was torn away.
can you send the pics/ or video?
I can pull up this info request on my phone, but the tools to add the pic attachments do not show. I need an actual email address or cel number to forward the photos to.

use [email protected]

or if that does not work [email protected]