Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Is anybody familiar with a condition that would cause a horse…

Customer Question
Is anybody familiar with a...
Is anybody familiar with a condition that would cause a horse to drowl continuously. I have a friend who mother raised really nice hunter ponies. The family has owned a riding stables and raised horses and ponies for the past 60-65 years. They have 2 welsh ponies drool all the time. I believe both are out of the same mare. One of the ponies is a gelding. The other one is a mare. One is grey and the other is white. This is not something from eating a weed or something that comes and goes. it is continuous. They have done this all their lives. I think she told me they are about 4 - years old. The mare does not drool. They have continued to keep some of the same line of ponies all these years by keeping mares and bringing in new stallions. I would like some information about the possible causes, treatment, surgery options, or cure, if any, for this condition.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/15/2010
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. M.
Dr. M., Board Certified Equine Surgeon
What type of drool is it? (mucous or serous)?
Any thing seen during oral examination?
Have they had that since born? or did it start later in life?

I talked to Sunde today. She this same mare had a foal that was born with some deformaties in the roof of the mouth, but was years before this. It had a little trouble nursing at first, but when checked again later, it "had straightened itself out" and their was no evidence that anything had been wrong. The last one still drools a clear, thin, watery liquid. It is not even like I have seen when it is saliva that sometimes hangs then drips. This is like when one is eating and apple or watermelon. The last time I was there, it was windy, they had been on grass and just drank water, so it was worse than usual and would blow in the wind and occationally start to look like it was stretching to form a bubble, but would split verically and drop to the ground almost like you would expect soapy water to look like.

She could not remember if the last one was "from birth", but said it was then or soon after. It was not later in life. It has not gotten any worse, nor has it gotten better.

It does not seem to cause a problem. They are healthy, eat well, and it does not seem to be and issue except if it would be something she would pass on if bred. Of course, it is not one the deem show quality.

I am not a rescue or someone who's wanting to make a dime on them. I help people find ponies for kids. My father was an equine specialist. He passed away in 2004. People always said, "I have my kids first pony and we don't want to sell him, but they have outgrown him and we want him to find a good home." He would take them and give them to somebody "for as long as they wanted to keep them". After he died, whenever Mom would have somebody bring one back, they came to me. If I could find out what this is or how to treat it, I could take these two and find them a home. Sunde is older and the few ponies she has left on the place have too much grass and several have foundered. She is no longer able to keep them off grass, feeding hay, and cleaning stalls. I could start them and help her give some really deserving child a free pony.

Realistically, I am not sure I can help you.

The fact that both foals are from the same dam is pointing towards something genetic.

Some ponies have a bullous stomatitis due to a type of collagen abnormality, but usually their oral exam is abnormal.

Best bet to find out is to have them examined at a university where a comprehensive team can evaluate them, but this might end up too expensive to get a free pony...

Best of luck