Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

hello, I have a 7 year old new forest pony, whos fetlock clicks,

Customer Question
hello, I have a 7...
hello, I have a 7 year old new forest pony, who's fetlock clicks, some days you can hardly hear it, other days it awefull. can you tell me some reasons for this. so i can have some idea what action to take treating it. i'm concerned that if i continues, the joint will be permently damaged.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/14/2010
Horse Veterinarian: brookevet, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
brookevet
brookevet, Veterinarian
Hi there!
Would you like to tell me few further questions about the pony?
How much time has passed since the development of this problem? and in which limb?
What is his main duty?
Whether it developed after some incidence(like slipping) or you just noticed it without any cause?
Is there any lameness? If yes, whether it's in walking or trotting? What is its degree(severity)?
Is there any swelling on it? Whether it's painful to touch or not? or is painful to touch when it's awefull?
Is there any wound on it?
If you are able to touch the joint, then whether you are able to flex it or not? If yes, then whether he feels pain a lot of pain or not?

Hello.

Thanks for your quick reply, Yes, she had several problems in the last year and a half. An infection in the leg, after a puncture wound, slipping in a muddy field, and getting leg stuck in gate. The last one was november, she isn't lame as such anymore, but she is weak on one side, and muscles are a little tight on the other still. But it is slowly getting better. I've had a phsio sort her back out, and followed her instuctions on massage and exercise. She has always had wingals(sorry not sure on spelling) but people tell me that although its uncommon in a younge horse that hasn't done much, it isn't a problem. You can touch the area, and flex it, there seems to be no pain. I don't want to start paying for xrays, if there is something obvious that i have missed.

Thanks for the information.
Would you like to tell me where was the puncture wound? Whether it was in the same fetlock joint that is clicking or it was in the hoof of the same leg?
What medication you have given her for that puncture wound and for the lameness after getting stuck in the gate?
whether lameness started when she got her leg stuck in the gate? and for how long it persisted if the lameness is no more there?
Any radiography done at the time of puncture wound or when limb stuck in gate? If yes, then what was found?

I am sorry for these questions but I think it will help me to better to help her better.