Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

gelding: 12 year old..is clip the hair around the affected areas…

Customer Question
We have a 12 year...
We have a 12 year old Clydesdale gelding that has had pasturn dermatitus for the last five or six years. We have had vets come out and look at him but they have no answers. What I find is the best I can do is clip the hair around the affected areas and scrub his legs with a soap one of the vets reccomended. When I do this, it makes his legs very ichy and just stands there and stomps his legs, especially the back ones. Since I have been washing his legs about two or three times a week, the scabs have disappeared and the sores all healed up but he still has the same problem. Do you know of any cure for this disease? If not, anything that would relieve the itch?
Bob
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/14/2010
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Hi there, Bob.

This is very frustrating and difficult condition to get under control. It is a staph infection often associated with a hereditary suppressed immune system that allows that staph bacteria to grow in this area when the environment is right. I do not have any other recommendations that you have not already heard of but I can tell you how to treat the itching that comes along with treatments.

I have used Betadine Scrub to treat this and when the itching starts, I give either Azium powder every day for 5-10 days depending on the itch or Benadryl at 0.5 mg per pound of his weight given every 12 hrs.

The Azium is a prescription steroid and will require a prescription from your vet.

Good Luck, Bob!!
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Mike, Equine Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike, Equine Veterinarian
When any of the light or heavy draft breeds have lower leg problems where itching (pruritis) is a component, infection with Chorioptes mites is involved.

Confirmation by examination of skin scrapings under a microscope on low power is straight-forward, but treatment can be slow.

Topical treatment with a topical lime-sulfur product has been the most successful route for me. I've used the small animal products like "LymDip".

Deworming with ivermectin products don't seem to be all that effective. Once the mites are gone, the secondary Staph infections seem to clear up quickly.

DrMike