Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I noticed last night that my 23 y/o Arab was favoring one of…

Customer Question
I noticed last night that...
I noticed last night that my 23 y/o Arab was favoring one of her back feet. This morning she doesn't want to put any weight on it at all. I checked her hoof for a stone or anything that would be hurting her, nothing. I felt her leg, didn't feel hot or swollen. How long should I wait before calling someone to check it out?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/14/2010
Horse Veterinarian: fionasteel, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
fionasteel
fionasteel, Veterinarian

If Azure is not wanting to bear weight on the foot at all, then you really want to get your vet to come and look at her right away.

The way you describe, that she was favouring it yesterday and now doesn't want to stand on it at all sounds like she could have an abscess in the foot. These are really painful as there is nowhere for the pressure to escape to as the puss builds up. Your vet or farrier would need to locate the site of the abscess, then dig a hole down to it to let it drain. Once this is done you need to poultice the foot to get all the puss out and let it heal from the inside out. Once the pressure of the puss is relieved Azure should feel much better.

Other more serious problems it could be are a fractured bone in her foot or an infection in a joint, if there is a puncture wound that you could have missed.

If she does not want to stand on the foot, I would poultice the foot and get an appointment with your vet organised.

Kind Regards XXXXX XXXXX