Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

mare: 7yr..3yr..blue,dorsal strip, black tail and mane.I know nothing…

Customer Question
I own a 7yr,buckskin mare,and...
I own a 7yr,buckskin mare,and a 3yr. stud that is a blue,dorsal strip, black tail and mane.I know nothing of his heritage but the mare is of great confirmation. Her sire, cooper buckskin,no back stripe. The dam was a red line back dun. any educated guess whhat a new foal could look like? I know it's a toss up and darker colors are dominate,but I/m hoping for another line back with tiger strip legs,as the dame was marked.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/14/2010
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Mike, Equine Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike, Equine Veterinarian
There is about a 17% chance each of a dunskin, buckskin, bay dun, or bay.

For an easy coat calculator, go to -

http://www.animalgenetics.us/CCalculator1.asp

and plug in any coat color/pattern combination.

DrMike