Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

My miniature donkey is losing her hair around her eye and nose.

My miniature donkey is losing her hair around her eye and nose. There are some small round scabs on her face. What could be causing this?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 7 years ago.
Hello,Customer

I'm sorry to hear about your donkey's condition. I need to ask you a few questions in order to help:

1): Is your donkey housed with other animals, and if so, what types and how many?

2): Do the areas of the hair loss seem itchy?

3): How long has this been a problem?

4): When was she last dewormed, and what type of deworming product was used?

5): Have you tried treating the affected areas?

6): What is her living environment like (stall, pasture, etc.)?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm looking forward to hearing form you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
): Is your donkey housed with other animals, and if so, what types and how many? yes two miniature donkeys

2): Do the areas of the hair loss seem itchy? no not that i can tell

3): How long has this been a problem? i just noticed it but i think it's been about a week

4): When was she last dewormed, and what type of deworming product was used? I just purchased her at Christmas, so she has not yet been dewormed by me. I think its been less than two months

5): Have you tried treating the affected areas? No I just noticed it today

6): What is her living environment like (stall, pasture, etc.)? pasture
Thanks for getting back to me:

There is a good possibility that your donkey is suffering from an external parasite infestation, most likely either mites or scabies. This is a very common time of year for this problem to present itself, with wet and cool environments. Mites can often be seen using a magnifying glass, especially if the area under observation is warmed slightly using a heat lamp or other heat source (the heat causes them to start moving about...). Scabies, on the other hand, need to be diagnosed by a vet, as it normally requires scraping of the skin as the parasites usually burrow beneath the skin's surface. Fortunately, these parasites can often be self-limiting in a healthy animal, but deworming your donkey with an ivermectin-based dewormer should be effective (although we are seeing more and more reports of parasite resistance to these products). Another effective route is to dampen a clean cloth with a pyrethrin/permethrin-based fly spray, and vigorously rub the cloth into the affected areas. This should be repeated every other day for a minimum of three treatments.

Keep in mind that I am unable to examine your donkey, and am basing my answer on the information that you have supplied. If you haven't had your donkeys yet examined by a vet, I'd strongly recommend doing so, so they can get off to a good, healthy start in their new home with you.

I trust I've been of some help, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX of luck!

-Dan