Dr Rik Daniels
Dr Rik Daniels, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  12yrs Equine practice. Special interest in Reproduction , Lamness and a passion for the Eq Athelete
25049012

My horse has a dry cough. He is eating normaly, but is coughing

My horse has a dry cough. He is eating normaly, but is coughing every so often when eating. He also is coughing when we trot, but not at a easy walk. This is new and I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was due to dust on the trail or in the hay. I am begining to think not. He does not have a runny nose or runny eyes. I don't believe there is a temp. Any ideas?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Rik Daniels replied 7 years ago.
This condition is most likely due to an upper respiratory allergy or a pharyngitis. Neither is serious, but may need treatment. The best way to diagnose is with endoscopic exam of the upper airway. Treatments range from throat flushes to a course of steroids. Many vets may pull blood work to make sure white cell count is normal. Both of these condition can be transient in nature, seasonal or secondary to irritation of the airway. Some over the counter treatments exist such as equitussin, with variable results.

Hope this is helpful information!

Dr Rik

Please Click REPLY if you need more info. Click ACCEPT if I have answered your question. Thanks you so much for allowing me to help! Remember, this cannot replace an exam by your veterinarian. Feedback and Bonuses are encouraged
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can this be an allergy if he has never coughed like this before? And what is Pharyngitis?
Yes they can develop an allergy later in life, they also don't clear ther upper airway as well as when they where younger. Pharingitis is like a sore throat, usually caused by irratation of the upper airway or secondary to an infection( usually viral). Both of these can go away on their own. I do have quite a few horses that later in life also just don't clear their airway as well as they use to. Another drug that is very useful to help this process is ventipulmin.

Hope this is helpful!

Dr Rik