Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

Where do I give my horse the 5-way vaccine

Customer Question
?...
Where do I give my horse the 5-way vaccine ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
7/11/2009
Horse Veterinarian: Doc Evan, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Doc Evan
Doc Evan, Board Certified Veterinarian
Doing an injection is easy and many owners do it.

The 5-way vaccine is given as an intramuscular injection.
I prefer the buttocks, pretty much about 6 inches down from the base of the tail and adjacent to the tail. Some will use the neck..in the middle of the neck just in front of where it attaches to the body.
This website gives you very good directions and pictures how to do this:
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1018/

A couple of key points to remember, even if you do everything correctly, adverse evenst can happen, these include:
  1. Acute allergic reactions-called anaphylaxis. In this situation, your horse's immune system responds too strongly to the antigen that's administered-leading to events that can result in collapse or even death. Anaphylactic reactions, although frightening, are extremely rare.
  2. Local injection site reactions-ranging from sore spots in the muscle to the formation of an abscess. Note: Abscesses can occur if bacteria enter the skin during the vaccination processes, although it's also possible for your horse to develop a sterile abscess-one that contains no bacteria-simply because of the way his body responds to the vaccine.
To try to avoid abscess, clean the injection site very well with soap and water (some may even shave a tiny patch); then can swab with alchohol, or if you have an antiseptic. such as betadine, you can clean with that.

Also important, after the needle and syringe is in..pull back on the syringe to make sure you do not get flow of blood back into the syringe. This would mean you are in a blood vessel. If that happens..take the needle out and start again.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.
Doc Evan
Doc Evan
Doc Evan
Doc Evan, Board Certified Veterinarian