Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

20+YO GELDING.SWOLLEN PENIS-NOT A BEAN IN SHEATH, THE ACTUALLY

Customer Question
20+YO GELDING.SWOLLEN PENIS-NOT A "BEAN"...
20+YO GELDING.SWOLLEN PENIS-NOT A "BEAN" IN SHEATH, THE ACTUALLY PENIS IS HUGE. RIGHT OUT OF SHEATH THERE IS A "DONUT"SHAPED SWELLING, THE PART OF THE PENIS AFTER THE BULDGE ISALSO SWOLLEN. tHE"DONUT" IS TWICE THE SIZE OF THE PENIS. THERE IS NO MONEY FOR A FARM CALL. EM EXPERIENCE IN VET SKILLS. BUT NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS OR HOW TO TREAT IT, ANY ADVICE OR HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATE
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2009
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian

HiCustomer

Sorry to hear about your horse's problem. This sounds like a traumatic injury such as a penile hematoma. This usually results from being kicked in the sheath area or the gelding traumatizing the penis when erect. The other possibility would be a squamous cell carcinoma or sarcoid on the penis. In any event, the penis cannot remain outside the sheath and swollen for more than about 24-48 hours before it will start to undergo necrosis from the blood pooling effects and dependant edema. This is something that should be seen by a vet. Without the resources to afford a vet, you can attempt to manage it by creating a sling for the penis to hold it up to the belly and not close off the urethra where he needs to pee from. He needs to be on anti-inflammatories such as phenylbutazone as well. You'll need to monitor his ability to pass urine very closely and if he cannot pass urine, you must contact a vet. If the penis begins to ooze serum or pus from the swelling, you must contact a vet as the penis may need to be partially removed to get it back in the sheath. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, UNFORTUNATELY THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE LAST FRIDAY. HE HAD HOPED IT WOULD GO AWAY. I HAVE GIVEN HIM "BUTE" AND BANAMINE LAST NIGH. HE HAS BEEN GIVING HIM 30 CC OF PENICILIAN EACH DAY AS THE "OLD GUY" AT THE FENCE TOLD HIM TO....MY NEIGHBOR IS NOT A "HORSE GUY" HE IS TRYING TO PLEASE HIS SON THAT COMES EVERY OTHER WEEKEND. I KNOW HE NEEDS TO CALL THE VET....BUT HE DOESNT HAVE THE FUNDS AND A FARM CALL IS OVER $200 BEFRE THEY DO ANYTHING! WHAT NOW....CAN WE RELIEVE THE SWELLING BY LANCEINIG IT, TO ALLOWING IT TO GOBACK INTO THE SHEATH? I KNOW, BUT ANY ADVISE OTHER THAN A ET WILL BE APPRECIATE.....HOULD I CONSIDER PUTTING HIM DOWN, HIS EYES ARE STILL BRIGHT, HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO GET A TEMP. HELP!

Ok,

This has been going on for some time. I have doubts about the ability of the penis to survive , although without seeing the horse personally, I cannot say for certain one way or the other. Continue to administer the bute (but don't combine it with banamine as this is hard on the kidney's). No more than 3 grams (max) per day. Do Not lance the swelling as this will certainly result in more edema and possibly infection which will be very bad. It could also impair the ability to urinate. If you are in TX, then A&M had recently published a technique to remove the dead part of the penis with the horse standing for around $200. This might be your best bet if possible. If you try to remove the dead penis yourself, you will have hemorrhage problems and it may kill the horse. I wouldn't recommend putting him down just yet but it may come to that if he cannot urinate. Contacting a vet is really necessary at this point in order to have a chance at successful outcome.

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE AND HELP, I WILL PASS THE INFORMATION ON TO HIM. UNFORTUNATELY, I NO LONGER LIVE IN TEXAS, I LIVE IN WA. THE VET SCHOOL IN PULLMAN IS NOT LIKE TX A&M. AGAIN, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND UNDERSTANDING, HOPEFULLY HE'LL CALL A VET, BUT I REALLY DOUBT IT.

No problem,

You could contact the clinic at Pullman and see if they would be willing to look into the procedure for you guys. It was just presentated in December at the AAEP in San Diego. There might be some information about it at www.aaep.org Glad my answer was acceptable. Best of luck!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFORMATION, WHO, HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT ASKING THE GUYS AT PULLMAN TO EVEN LOOK AT THIS.....WOULDN'T THEY WANT BIG BUCKS FOR THE EXAM? THINGS ARE SO MUCH DIFFERENT HERE IN WA, TX IS MUCH FRIENDLIER AND EASIER TO ACCESS. JUST GOT BACK FROM HIS HOUSE, IT LOOKS REDDER AND BIGGER TONIGHT, I FEEL SORRY FOR THE HORSE AND THE DAD.....WISH I HAD BETTER VET SKILLS
Just contact the vet teaching hospital directly and ask to leave a message for one of the surgeons. They should be able to contact you back within a couple days. You'll be able to discuss the case with one of them and potentially get some advice about someone in your area that might be good to go to. The surgeons will likely be familar with the standing penile removal procedure. They're good people at Pullman.
THANKS AGAIN, YOU ARE EXTRA SPECIAL.....THANKS FROM THE TEXAS GAL IN WASHINGTON   :)
Cheers
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian