Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

01 Honda Odyssey dash light flicker. The dash lights have…

01 Honda Odyssey dash light...
01 Honda Odyssey dash light flicker.The dash lights have been flickering then randomly the car shut off and had a dead battery. Assuming they are related, the battery is only 6 months old and rests good, I jumped the battery and let it run and it seemed to have charged up and with the car running the dash lights still flicker but the battery voltage reads 14.3 constantly. So I'm really not sure what it is, battery connections are night and right grounds seem ok also
10/26/2021
Mechanic for Honda: Dtech, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dtech
Dtech, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, thanks for reaching out to Just Answer. I'm Dexter and will be the one assisting you. I believe you may have an issue with either your charging voltage gauge or a connection from the alternator itself.

May I ask how you are checking the voltage other than through the gauge? I'm assuming you car has some sort of battery voltage gauge built in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
iv got a scan tool plugged in and a battery tester both giving me 14.3battery tester hooked on the battery

Do you by any chance have a DMM or digital multi meter?

I would like for you to start up the vehicle, put the negative lead of the DMM on the negative battery terminal. And the positive lead of the DMM on the positive terminal of the alternator itself.

Lastly, an easier route. Some of these have issues with the module for the cluster. I would disconnect the negative battery terminal, and disconnect the positive battery terminal, and touch the 2 terminals together (NOT the battery posts!) Just the terminals you disconnected. Leave them for about 15 min. and reconnect them. That will do a hard reset and see if it fixes the issue for that combination meter issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
13.6 with the dmmnow 14

ok, your alternator output seems to be working properly, do you headlights dim when the car is running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no they seem good

ok. I would proceed with the terminal touch as I mentioned above and please let me know if that helped.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the slight flickering wouldn't normally concern me, if it hadnt have shut off while driving after it happens the first time

the flickering is the concern to me because it almost seems as if your vehicle is not charging properly. If you voltage output is correct at the alternator itself, it seems that the charging voltage may not be getting to the battery itself thus leading to a battery drain. It may seem as if you have in intermittently failing alternator.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's kinda what it seems, but the lights still flicker even when I see it chargingI wonder if the alternator is putting out the proper volts but not enough amps? is that possible

typically with voltage, you have amperage. So if you're not getting proper voltage, you're not getting proper amperage. I'd suspect based on your readings and concerns that you have a faulty alternator on it's way out and I would proceed with further diagnosing only after that replacement has been done.

I've seen this in many cases where the intermittently false readings will lead to thoughts that the alternator is good. When actually it's just on it's way out. And if all your connections are correct and tight from the alternator, the battery terminals, etc. then I'd start with alternator replacement.

Please be aware that corrosion build up on any terminals can also certainly cause this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
terminals are clean and tight, just kinda a big job on a guess

I agree, it is a big job but it's hard to start anywhere else because skipping this step can cause more headaches for you in the future.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is not tests for it to confirm other then just replace it?

You have a couple options. 1, when the vehicle headlights or vehicles power seems to be running down or getting weak, you can almost certainly say that alternator is not charging, especially if you rev up the car and the power comes back.

2. You can remove the alternator and have your local AutoZone do a load test on it in there machine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
alright. I'll start there

okay sounds great, please feel free to message me again or request for me so I can further assist you if it continues. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

please feel free to contact me with results so we can further diagnosis and take next steps. My name is***** for using Just Answer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it finally stopped charging! alternator it is,

That's great news!

Dtech
Dtech, ASE Certified Technician