Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2009 Honda Odyssey alarm going off for no reason. Running…

Customer Question
2009 Honda Odyssey alarm...

2009 Honda Odyssey alarm going off for no reason. Running lights flickering, interior light coming on, back window rolls itself down. I pulled the fuse for running lights. Disabled the interior light, finally got the back window up and engaged the child window lock option. Took it to Honda dealer, they recommended replacing the brain box (they say it's under the driver's side, underneath the car?) They replaced that and did some other recommended work - $3,000 later and two weeks and the car is back to doing the same ghostly things. We disconnected what we thought was the hood alarm sensor. Alarm hasn't gone off but remote key fob doesn't work either. Husband tried to start it this a.m. and it won't start (electric back sliding doors ARE working so I would assume the battery is OK). help!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Of course

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think I've put it all there

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
2/28/2021
Mechanic for Honda: DanielP121,
 replied 1 year ago
DanielP121

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I will be the expert to assist you today. I’m sorry you’re having trouble with your vehicle; I know how frustrating it can be. Please understand I do not know your level of automotive expertise so I may need to ask questions to find out information in order to provide the best possible service and solution.

There are times when it may take me a moment to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience.

You mentioned you've disabled the Hood Alarm Sensor, is there a Red Key Light on the Dash blinking? or any warning light flashing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to run outside and check. Will be back shortly.When I get in there's a green light flashing that looks like a key
Mechanic for Honda: DanielP121,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, thank you. I'm also attaching the "Hood Switch " testing to ensure it is not the issue.

Mechanic for Honda: DanielP121,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, a Green light is OK, did you try to start the vehicle? if so did it start? did the alarm go off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Won't start, just clicking soundDoesn’t start, when i turn the key dash lights come on and just a clicking sound. I think we disabled the hood switch yesterday
Mechanic for Honda: DanielP121,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, that could be the entire issue. It sounds like a Weak, or Discharged Battery and that can cause all the issues you're having with the alarm because of low voltage. Does your husband have access to a DVOM? (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) you need to verify that the Battery has at least 12.4 Volts in order to be deemed "Good" or do you have access to a battery charger? or Jumper Cables?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When we spent 3,000 on the van 2 wks ago they checked the battery and said it was great- he was concerned about that.We have an appointment to take it back on Wednesday, hopefully we can jump it to get it over there
Mechanic for Honda: DanielP121,
 replied 1 year ago

I would be on the phone to the Honda Dealer the second they opened up tomorrow morning. I would ask to speak with the Service Manager or Service Director and I would calmly explain that you brought the vehicle in for this concern. you agreed to the charges for this and some additional work and here it is less than 30 days and you have the same issue. If they are a reputable dealer they will tow the vehicle in, provide you with a loaner vehicle (as long as you qualify for the loaner, they have age restrictions for young drivers) and repair the vehicle properly. There is no excuse for a dealer to take your money and leave you with the same concern. Obviously the first diagnosis was incorrect. I would also ask for a Battery Check while the vehicle is there. If it turns out all it needed was a battery and the additional work you agreed to a replacement battery installed is usually in the range of $175.00 - $275.00 depending on programming.

Mechanic for Honda: DanielP121,
 replied 1 year ago

I wish you the best of luck and please update me with the results. Have a great rest of your day and a safe and prosperous new year!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I think the Monday morning call is a great idea! I appreciate the support!! Best wishes to you as well