Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2 issues, 1st I have. 03 lxv6 2dr auto 104k mi. I am getting…

2 issues, 1st I...

2 issues, 1st I have

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

03 lxv6 2dr auto 104k mi. I am getting a 2251 and 0134 dtc. There is also an exhaust leak i csnnot find thst is louder when cold and goes away to non audible after 45 or so seconds. It happened when debri struck and dented the j pipe (y) inder the vehicle. I replaced the pipe and had a tiny leak i could not find, but it had grown worse but not at idle.any thoughts

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

Hoses, you mean under on tje ehaaust. Commuter 16 mi each way.?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Access is a bear under car but when i replaced the pipe where it y's together it appears to be in behind enhine and firewall But i cannot pinpoint it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, just had car in shop for front bumper work and now tcs fors mot function. Both lights stay on and switch foes nothing. Worked fone when i took it in.

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2020
Mechanic for Honda: Adam H, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Adam H
Adam H, Auto Mechanic
Hello my name is***** to just answer I am a Honda master certified technician with over 15 years experience. I would be glad to offer some advice and hopefully we can figure this out for you. Please be patient as some questions may require some research before a reply.As for the trouble codes you have both relate to bank one sensor one oxygen sensors. This one is the top sensor in the back catalytic converter. This sensor plugs in on the back of the cylinder head on the driver side. First step check and be sure the connector is fully locked together.
Ok can do that but not at car right now. My code reader said no current i believe, it was nefore work early this morning. Is there s way to put a meter and read the sensorGive me a few minutes to het out to carThank you ny the way for responding
Yeah but both codes point directly to an open or short in the circuit. I can send you information on checking the sensor. You could also have a fuse blown controlling the heater circuit for the oxygen sensor. Before we troubleshoot the sensor, take a test light or multimeter and literally touch every fuse in both boxes. I have been burned so many times on a fuse not really in the circuit but can cause problems. after being repaired and you have a tcs light on this also could be related to a fuse.
Electrician by trade, what fuse is the heater circuit, individual or common for sensord
I’m getting my computer restarted and I’ll look up the schematic.

Are you California emissions or 49 state?

Check fuse 8 in under hood fuse box and fuse 23 in driver under dash fuse box.

Ok back sorry at car now8 is good23 is good

Okay, did you check the connection behind the cylinder head?

Oh california, but car was orig bought in seattle wash.i cleared codes and stsrted car. Looking up nowBank 2 sensor 1
$8D test value135
Max limit 138

I just found an article stating that a faulty sensor can cause both codes simultaneously and that the part was updated with an improved part. The reason I had doubt is most of the time with both those codes stored its a wiring issue and not an internal fault of the sensor. will your scan tool communicate with vsa system or only pgm-fi?

$8E. Test value 21
Max limit 90Bank1 sensor 1
$8D test value 139
Max limit 138
$8E T.V. 44
MAX LIM. 90

Unfortunately I can't find an actual resistance check for the sensor. The only troubleshooting Honda has will have you probing wires at pcm. Honestly the easiest thing to do at this point is to swap the rear primary sensor with the front primary sensor. These are both the same exact sensor, if you swap them and the codes change to bank 2 sensor 1, then you have confirmed the sensor is faulty. if not I can help you with checking wiring.

I can read, erase,live data , freeze frame, i/m readiness, 02 monitor test, on board monitor test. Component test only has evsp leak test,Which is this bank 1 or 2

Sounds like your scanner will only communicate with ppm-fi system, the vsa light is most likely on due to failed sensor. Bank 1 is the firewall side of the engine, bank 2 is the radiator side of the engine.

I am checking current vvalue now of sendor 1
Min .38 value .98
Sts ok thst was sho2s heater.
Troublev light still is still off

theres a cycle that has to complete before it will store a trouble code. You will need to rev engine at 3000 rpms until the fans cycle 3 times, then allow it to idle for at least two minutes. Or you can start driving and it will do a check on its own.

2nd test bank 1 test val
.97. Max3.33
Sts okId 09
Mod $09
Sho2s heater bank 2
Test 005E
Min26. Max----
Sts okId 09
Mod $09
Test005E
Min ----
Max 14D
Sts okStill no ck engine light th as t is good

did the vsa light go off or is it still on?

Idle now about 30 min up to temp.Oh Modules present
ID 00
Protocall ISO 9141-2What is vsa?

I'm sorry tcs, all the newer cars have vsa light, they are the same, your is traction control system and the newer ones are vehicle stability assist.

The triangle is on yes, but not the rectamgle thst says TCS.
tjink i have to drive to get that.Yeah getting up there in years
Been a good car, bought 08 5yr old with 28000 for 13000Up to 104 now. Getting ready to do timing belt, h20 pump etc.

yes it should clear. it takes about 20 mph for modulator to communicate. If the codes do return I would swap the front and rear top sensors and clear the code and drive again. if the codes change then you are certain the sensor is the fault. With the code not returning immediately doesn't seem to be a wiring issue either. As far as the exhaust leak the best way is to get under with a piece of paper beside the exhaust and figure out where its blowing. You should see a black trail on the pipe coming from the leak.

Yeah those cars are almost rock solid. Never see engine trouble out of them and transmissions are well improve over the previous years. The timing belt job isn't bad, make sure you replace the hydraulic tensioner using a Honda part. Aftermarket tensioners will fail within a year or two and can cause major damage.

Im about to sign off, if you need any other help or have any other questions I will be glad to respond in the morning. I'm on the east coast so getting late here!!

Tough to holf at 3000rpm will use all honda parts, tensioner idler. Crank seal, no cam seals, h20 pump belt etc
Shop in napa might do it
Wonder about tcs, no problem begore body shop for bumper fix from a little tap
No real visible damage but said internal parts needed replacing.got it back with tcs issueYeah i add m up as t 4 as m myself on 80 by 6 lstest

if you can have someone scan the trouble code for you I can help you deterrmine whats wrong with that system also.

Thank you xxv will definitely conta CV t ypu if not tomorrow then next dayWill try, going to press body shop as it was not there when it went in. Something thry didThsmk you Adam. My name is Pat
Your welcome Pat. Keep me updated.
Adam H
Adam H, Auto Mechanic
Will do. gnite