Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

How to tell a rack and pinion problem vs power steering

pump?...
How to tell a rack and pinion problem vs power steering pump?
8/9/2018
Richard Greer
Richard Greer, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Just Answer might prompt you for a phone call, that request is not from me and is not necessary. Thank you

A problem with your rack and pinion will usually come in the form of slack in the steering wheel or fluid leaking from the inner tie rod boots. A Problem with your power steering pump will usually show in a lack of steering assist or a whining noise when turning the wheel.

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
What do you mean by slack In the steering wheel?

being able to turn the steering wheel without the wheels actually turning

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Hmmmm. My steering in pretty heavy, but sometimes when I take a pretty sharp turn it'll be heavy and then have slack in the middle of the turn then be stiff again

That sounds like an issue with your steering rack

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Well that sucks lol. Also I noticed I'm getting pretty bad mileage on my 2005 Honda pilot, how would I go about troubleshooting that. Does vtec have anything to do with it?

First thing to check would be to check for any diagnostic trouble codes and perform any maintenance that hasnt been done yet. Alot of things can cause fuel mileage to drop

Do you have any further questions? If not please feel free to click the accept button if you are satisfied with my answer, if not please let me know and I will be willing to answer any other question you may have regarding your issue. Positive feedback would be appreciated, and if you feel I really helped you out a bonus would be appreciated but never required…Thanks Richard

Richard Greer
Richard Greer, ASE Certified Technician