Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Changed out my back light switch on my 2004 honda accord but…

Changed out my back...

Changed out my back light switch on my 2004 honda accord but it still wont come out of park

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Yes my lights are working

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am,thats all ive tried

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was looking at changing out the shift lock solenoid tyeh are $200 bucks so i want to be sure. Some Troubl shooting

8/8/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer! Please allow me to assist you with your question today. I want to let you know that I am here to help and I will be taking your question very seriously. If you don't understand some of the information I am about to share with you, if need me to clear anything up or if you have any further questions related to this issue, please reply back with any follow up questions as needed so that I may fully address all of your questions and concerns today. Please understand your satisfaction is my number one priority. I just ask for your 5 star rating in return when I have answered all of your questions and you are happy with my assistance.

Your going to want to check for power and ground at the shift interlock solenoid with the key on or engine running and foot on the brake pedal. The power supply comes from fuse 21 in the under-dash fuse relay box and the ground comes from the ECM. If both power and ground are present and the shift interlock is not operating, the shift interlock solenoid is bad and will need to be replaced.

Also, just a heads up, make sure the Throttle plate is all of the way closed (not stuck open) and the TPS sensor is reading the correct voltage as the ECM will not activate the shift interlock solenoid is the TPS voltage is too high with the engine running.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
what should the voltage be on the TPS

If the voltage is higher than 0.49 volts, the Engine Control Module (ECM) will not allow the shift interlock to operate.

Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician