Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

01 civic a/c compressor not working. Put a hose with guage…

01 civic a/c compressor...

01 civic a/c compressor not working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Put a hose with guage on it and it says 80%, yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. jumped the relay nothing haoppened at first. following this guys thread and very similar issues however the fans do not come on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If I jump the relays they will. both high and low side switches have continuity. the compressor now comes on when I jump the relay, but the fans still do not come on. if I jump their relays they will but not when I jump the high pressure harness

6/29/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started!

Ok with this have you tried to jump pressure switch yet?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
unplugged the harness, put the jumper in the harness connector and nothing happens.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
switches have continuity. jump the relay and at first compressor did still not come on. jumped the fan relays for both the rad and cond and they do come on. green light on the switch lights up. after some testing, now when I jumnp the compressor relay it does start, however its very laboured and the fans do not turn on.

sounds like there is a pcm issue, that tells everything what to do, have you checked all your fuses yet on by one confirming power on each one?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I followed a thread checking the #1 and #14 fuses, tested the relays etc. I was told that if the Freon level is low it wont work either, however it said 80%. I realize this is only on the low side and without the compressor working will the system equalize to get a more accurate reading? I also tried the hvac self diagnosis and get no trouble codes.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
sry, I checked all the fuses with my multimeter and found none that needed replacing. I also swapped relays in case there was a bad one.

ok let me look at some diagrams ill be right back

ok try this test, it will show you how to check the entire system even the pcm, you may have a wiring issue or something, I think it may be related to that or pem

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2niv7nio4oc9o2u/fri6.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
the compressor clutch doe not kick in when I jump the relay. compressor clutch 1p connector is the harness that goes to the compressor?

do you have voltage in one of the terminals your jumping?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
compressor relay yes
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
2 on the relay socket in the underhood fuse box

ok jump that and see if your getting voltage at the compressor itself

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I cant get to the connector off the compressor. working on it now

no worries take your time

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
need a bigger hammer to make a bigger hole so I can reach the connector. gottan run i'll tackle this later. which terminal on the compressor plug to I connect the jumper wire to?

no jumper on plug! you want to jumper the relay and check for power on the connector with your meter

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
sry I'm confused now. when I put a wire in the relay socket in the underhood fuse panel between loc 1 and loc 2, I get a small spark but the compressor does not click. where exactly am I checking for power?

your checking to see if power is getting to the compressor connector, the jump is simply overriding the relay function and turning on the compressor, you did say its not turning on now right?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
correct. so, insert a wire into the relay socket, then use my test light on the blue/red wire going to the compressor to check if power is there?

yes

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
key on/off? fan on/off? vent pointed? is a test light stabbed into the harness sufficient?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing this correctly, don't want to find out I missed something cause I was only standing on my right foot....lol

I never recommend stabbing wires this leads to major failures later only back probing connectors with appropriate tools

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
there is power in the blue/red wire

ok so your compressor is bad for sure then , but we still need to address the rest of the issues, go to step 9 and start checking ecm

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
bad compressor, great, did I mention I'm doing this to sell the car? I told the guy everything worked, which it did, until he arrived with cash to take it home...

work a deal with him, see if he will take it for a few hundred less, trust me its worth the less hassle

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
where is the ecm on this thing? rh kickpanel, under the battery, behind the headlight?

behind the glove box

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I made a deal, told him it worked. its for his daughter to drive to school, that's why I bought it. deals a deal.

ok

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
connector e is the4 big grey 12 of which 1 of 4 into the ecm?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
sorry. connector e is the big grey 1, or 1 of 4 directly into the ecm?

should be white connector

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
white plug at the top, middle row, 4th pin in, red wire measures 11.62 v

so either the ecm needs updating or the ecm needs replacement

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
the compressor is bad, and the ecm needs to be flashed? the cars been sitting for 6 months, the last time it was driven the ac worked fine. in fact, it worked better than the ac in my truck. I was going to sell my truck and drive the civic because of it.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
just to confirm, you're saying both the compressor and ecm need replacing?

from the tests results we did yes

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
lovely. thanks very much for helping me with this, I was pulling my hair out trying to diagnose this properly.

sure thing, sorry about the outcome I wish it was a better solution