Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I parked my car and now can't get it out of park. Not that I…

I parked my car...

I parked my car and now can't get it out of park

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Not that I have been aware of. The other morning I had my foot on the brake ready to change into reverse and the brake pedal it's self had a clicking noise I had never heard.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2002 Honda Accord Coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just happened last night so I have not done anything yet. Would like to fix myself as it is parked with front facing a building and would have problems towing etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That'a about all I know to say.

6/11/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Are your brake lights working when you step on the brake pedal with the key on?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
My car is at home and I have called my husband to check.

O.k., with the clicking noise you heard when pressing on the brake and now it will not come out of park this sounds like the common issue with the faulty brake switch. This switch should be located above the brake pedal on a bracket and when the pedal is pressed to remove from park if this switch is not sending the correct signals from it this will keep it from removing from park and will cause this issue here. I have seen several brake switches cause this fault with it needing to be replaced.

Usually, you can get the switch from a local parts store or a dealer to replace it to resolve this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician