Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Repairing 07 odyssey after rodent chewed a lot of wires.

Repairing 07 odyssey after...

Repairing 07 odyssey after rodent chewed a lot of wires. Maybe related, or not. Power windows not working except driver's window. Click at each door if you try to raise or lower it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Noise is inside each door when window raise / lower switch is pressed. Appears to be a relay inside the 3 doors other than driver.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, repairing it myself. Dealership estimate of 7000.00 to repair wiring damage more than vehicle's value.......I've checked fuses labeled for power windows and find fuses are o.k. but not receiving power when ignition is on. In engine compartment is a 50 amp fuse for power windows. It is intact and is recieving power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, if they could clarify is there a power window relay that delivers power to the power window fuses? If so, where is it located?

5/31/2018
Marty
Marty, Bosch Master Tech

Hi, my name is***** you post the vin number for me?

5fnrl38407b089264

Thanks. First make sure that the ON/OFF switch on the master window switch is in the ON position. If the switch is ON and you have no power to the fuses try replacing the power window relay. The relay is above the fuses in the fuse box. I've attached a diagram below. Let me know what you find.

Thanks. I checked with on/off switch in both positions. With switch up, I get relay noise only from passenger door when pressing window up/down. With switch down, I get no noise.
So I located the relay (thanks!). I swapped with an adjacent relay.
No change. Still no powe r at 3 PW fuses with ignition on.Looking at relay socket as shown in your picture, the lower right connector reads 12 volts does not change with ignition on/off or master switch on/off.

You should have power at two terminals in the relay socket. Try bypassing the relay with a fused jumper lead and see if you get power to the fuses.

If I power the far left relay socket terminal, I do get power to the fuses.

You need to check all of the inputs. You should have 12V at two of the terminals and a ground at the 3rd terminal. The ground comes from the ON/OFF switch. The 4th terminal is power out to the fuses. You need to see what you are lacking.

The two smaller terminals on the relay are the relay coil. One should have 12V with the key on and the other is the ground from the ON/OFF switch. One of the two large terminals should have 12V with the key on. When the relay closes it sends power to the other large terminal.

the ground for the relay coil is not there, regardless of on/off switch position.
AND there is no power on the larger terminals unless I power them with a jumper. Seems like I’m finding two issues: why is master on/off not grounding the relay coil, and where is the 50amp circuit from the engine compartment not reaching the relay secondary terminals.

Click on the schematic below. Both terminals on the relay get power from the same source.

As far as the ground from the ON/OFF switch is concerned I'd check for broken wires through the door jamb. Aside from that you are going to need to test it from the switch to the fuse box to find out where you are losing it. You could have a bad window switch.

Great to have a schematic; thanks. So here’s something I tried, and it seems like progress, but it doesn’t exactly match the schematic...I made a jumper from the lower right terminal that tests 12v. Jumped to the terminal that should send 12 volts to the fuses for individual windows.
Now all windows work properly from driver controls or individual controls with ignition on and master on/off switch on. Turning either ignition or on off switch to off stops all operations.I retested the relay socket terminals, and still get 12volts to ground only in the terminal powering the coil, and no ground at the other coil terminal.So I’m puzzled why there aren’t two live 12v terminals as the schematic indicates. But I’m pleased things seem to work if I jump past the relay.

It would appear as though you have a bad fuse box.

I guess that makes sense. That could solve my problem of having too much spare time.
I may let it go for a few days with my bypass in place and see if anything bad happens.
Thanks for your assistance!

You're quite welcome.

Marty
Marty, Bosch Master Tech