Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I need to program a new key fab, the old one has gone bad…

Customer Question
I need to program...

I need to program a new key fab, the old one has gone bad and the car is armed

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2003 pilot

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Disconnect the battery and put key in hoping the car alarm doesn't go off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a new key fab ready to program

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Honda
5/29/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
  1. INSERT the key into the Ignition, HOLD one remote in your left hand pointed at the driver door panel.
  2. TURN the Ignition to the ON position, marked “II” on the Ignition.
  3. PRESS the LOCK button on the remote for approximately 1 second. (Say “Mississippi”)
  4. TURN the Ignition to the OFF position, marked “I” on the Ignition. (REPEAT Steps 2-4 three (3) times)
  5. TURN the Ignition switch to the ON position, marked “II” on the Ignition.
  6. PRESS the LOCK button on the same remote. The door locks should cycle indicating the vehicle has ENTERED Programming Mode.

7. PRESS the LOCK button again on the same remote. The door locks should cycle again indicating the vehicle has successfully PROGRAMMED that remote.

So it's Ignition on, press remote lock one second, ignition off

Ignition on, press remote lock one second, ignition off

Ignition on, lock button on remote one second, lock button on remote one second, ignition off, remove key, try fob.

If I have answered your question please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way the site pays me for my time. Let me know if you need more help. If this doesn't work we will need to diagnose further, it indicates an issue with the alarm system.

i already tried that, the car needs to be disarmed first, once i put the key in the ignition the alarm goes off

Ok, and have you put the key in the driver door, the trunk, or any other door that has a lock cylinder and unlocked it? That SHOULD disarm the alarm.

I've had this car for 15 years, the ONLY thing that disarms the car is the key fab
but i just tried to disarm it with the key in multiple places and it didn't work

Then there's been a problem with your vehicle for 15 years, or you have an aftermarket alarm, because inserting the key into the door of ANY vehicle with a factory alarm will disarm the alarm.